Title: Spot Goes to School
Author: Eric Hill
Ressource Type: book
Themes: shool, greetings, animals, alphabet
Age range: 5 – 9 years
Spot Goes to School is a classic book by Eric Hill. Spot’s first day at school turns out to be an exciting adventure as he and his friends take their first steps into the world of learning. This book is the perfect for toddlers and children learning to read, or children learning English.
Culture and Vocabulary:
- greetings (Hello! Good morning! Welcome! My name is…)
- animals (dog, bear, crocodile, monkey, turtle, hippo)
- action verbs (sing, paint, play, listen, show, go to)
- at school : school, the playground, a song, a story, words, paints, the wendy house/the playhouse, the teacher
- difference between English and American version : the wendy house (UK)/the playhouse(US), dressing-up clothes (UK)/dress-up clothes(US), welcome to our school (UK)/ welcome to our class(US)
- Present perfect tense describes an action that happened at an indefinite time in the past or that began in the past and continues in the present.This tense is formed by using has/have with the past participle of the verb. Most past participles end in -ed. Irregular verbs have special past participles that must be memorized : Spot has found / Spot has made.
- In the present tense, regular verbs are conjugated by adding an s in the third person singular (Spot goes to school, Spot starts school today)
- I can/I can’t : At school, I can do it or I can’t do it…
- How to express your tastes in English: I like/I don’t like… What do you like ?… Do you like ?… It’s fun! It is okay!
- Interrogative sentence (What / Where / How) : “What is it? It’s…”
- alphabet : Spot makes the word “dog”, “Can you spell “dog”?” “How do you spell…dog?” “What does D-O-G spell?”
- falling intonation on a question that does not have a yes or no answer (What? Where? Why?).
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Printable activity “Spot Goes to School” – Free Download:
Spot Goes to School English Version:
welcome to our school, the wendy house, dressing-up clothes
Spot Goes to School American Version:
welcome to our class, the playhouse, dress-up clothes
Thanks for making such beautiful flash cards
May I ask: I want to make an mobile game where the kids can try to guess
the word of each card, can I use your flash cards in my game? If it’s OK,
how can I give credits to you?
The game is free, but I’ll have ads display.
Thanks a lot in advance
Thanks for your message.
I haven’t the rights for this flashcards.
Great resources for one of my favourite characters. Thank you!