Title: Spot’s First Christmas
Author: Eric Hill
Themes: Christmas and presents
Age-range: infant-preschool, 4 – 7 years
It’s Christmas Eve, and there’s lots to do to get ready for the big day! First Spot helps his dad bring home the tree, then it’s time to wrap the presents. Which one is for Spot? He’ll have to wait and see. It’s almost time for bed, but first Spot gets a special visit from a group of Christmas carolers. When Spot is finally asleep, Santa Claus quietly pays a visit. Early the next morning, Spot wakes up and opens all of his presents. He gets a bone, a brush, and a ball. However, his favorite present is his shiny new blue collar.
Spot’s First Christmas is a fabulously festive board-book edition of a classic lift-the-flap tale by Eric Hill, complete with shiny foil cover. Come along and celebrate Spot’s very first Christmas!
Culture and Vocabulary:
- Christmas vocabulary: It’s Christmas Eve, jingle bells, It’s Christmas, carolers, Santa Claus…
- expression “lift the flap”
- imperative: “Wrap the presents neatly”, “Be careful”, “Go to bed”
- different sentence types: imperative, interrogative, declarative, and exclamatory
- “Where is Spot?”
- Spot is IN / ON / UNDER the present
- Spot is ON / UNDER the sleigh
- Spot is UNDER / ON / IN the wrapping paper
- falling intonation on a question that does not have a yes or no answer (“Which is mine?”, “Who’s outside?”).
Printable activities “Spot’s First Christmas” – Free Download: