Title: One is a Snail, Ten is a Crab
Author: April Pulley Sayre et Jeff Sayre
Themes: numbers, animals
Age-range: 5 – 10 years
“One is a Snail, Ten is a Crab” by April Pulley and Jeff Sayre is a counting by feet book. If one is a snail and two is a person, we must be counting by feet! Just follow the sign to the beach, where a bunch of fun-loving crabs, lounging dogs, gleeful insects, and bewildered-looking snails obligingly offer their feet for counting in a number of silly, surprising combinations — from one to one hundred!
Culture and Vocabulary:
- numbers: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, twenty, thirty, fourty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety, one hundred;
- animals: a snail, a dog, an insect, a spider, a crab.
- possession with ‘s (a snail’s foot);
- “a” or “an” (use “an” before a word beginning with a vowel sound);
- plural of nouns (crabs, dogs, insects, spiders, snails, foot/feet);
- “a person” and “ten people” .
- pronunciation of “snail” \sneɪl\, “insect” \ˈɪn.sɛkt\, “spider” \spi.dɛʁ\;
- pronunciation of numbers in English (one \wʌn\, two \tuː\, three \θɹiː\, four \fɔː\, five \faɪv\, six \ˈsɪks\, seven \ˈsɛvən\, eight \eɪt\, nine \naɪn\, ten \ten\ …)
- learn to count to 100 in English;
- count the number of feet in different animals;
- discover counting nursery rhymes in English.
Printable Activities and Worksheets “One is a Snail, Ten is a Crab” – Free Download: